Subject: Re: [office-comment] 8.5.4 of ODF 1.0 - update

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 07/07/2008 05:58:45 PM:

> Rob,
>
> robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > In fact, this list should be used purely for public comment
submissions on
> > the ODF standard.  It is not intended to be a discussion list.
> >
> > The ODF TC hosts another list for that can be used for more general
> > ODF-related discussions, opendocument-users, which can be subscribed
> > from here:  http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
> >

> Just to clarify, err, we can discuss the comments that are submitted on
> this list, Yes? That is I can ask for clarification, perhaps make
> suggestions, etc.
>
> I assume you mean that discussions of the substance of the comment, that

> is what the TC should or should not do, etc., should be on the TC list?
>
> I know hard and fast distinctions are probably not possible but just
> wanted to be as clear as we can be about the use of this list.

I know that some people are subscribed to the list purely to get
notifications of user comments.  They have been lead to believe this is a
low-traffic list, which once it was.

TC members seeking clarification on a comment -- no problem with that.
Additionally, the ODF TC should try to communicate resolutions to
submitted comments to this list, and we have been doing that.

But when this grows beyond being a communication vehicle with the ODF TC
on ODF comments, and starts to spawn lively discussions among non-TC
members, then I think we've strayed into discussion list territory.

Remember, also, that when we have ODF deliverables ready for public
review, this comment list is the only mechanism for public comment
submissions.  If we go to public comment period, with a list full of
pundits with an opinion on every comment (and I count myself one of them),
then the list traffic would quickly balloon out of control.  Or at the
very least, it would have a traffic level that would be inconvenient for
someone who wanted to enter a quick comment during a public review period
and then stay subscribed for a few days until they get a response.

From a personal perspective, the off-topic traffic also makes it more
difficult for me, who needs to go through the archives to pull out the
"real" comments.

So I don't want to discourage discussion.  I just want to redirect it to
opendocument-users, which can be subscribed to from here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/

-Rob