Subject: RE: [office-comment] Fw: [members] Public Review of OpenDocument v1.0Errata - 15 day review

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 08/07/2008
05:40:13 PM:

> I notice with mild amusement that the Errata .odt document is claimed to
be
> an version 1.2 document and that OO.o 2.4 invites me to download an
update
> to OpenOffice.  (I don't install beta versions of software that I am
using
> for production purposes.)

OASIS deliverables are provided in three formats:  editable source, PDF
and HTML or XHTML.  Among those three there should be something to please
everyone.

> PS: For those who want to download the documents without them opening in
> their browser, the folder is accessible at
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.0/errata/cd02/
>
> PPS: Is there some reason the base document (Existing Standard link,
below)
> is v1.0-os instead of the ISO 26300 counterpart, v1.0ed2-cs1?  Does it
> matter?

Approved Errata apply to OASIS Standards.  Only ODF 1.0 and ODF 1.1 have
the status of an OASIS Standard.  ODF 1.0 (second edition) has the status
of Committee Specification.  If we wanted to updated ODF 1.0 (second
edition) we could do that as well, through a slightly different procedure,
yielding an updated Committee Specification.  The ISO/IEC version will
need to be corrected via the JTC1 process, based on the OASIS errata, once
it is approved.

Although in theory we could propose separate errata documents for all
three OASIS texts, we need to ask whether that would be a worthwhile
effort, and balance that with the needed effort in completing ODF 1.2
where all of these errors, and many others are addressed.

But certainly anyone who wishes to join the ODF TC with the object of
working on ODF 1.0 errata is more than welcome.  We could set up a
subcommittee for that effort if needed.  I note that such document format
errata committees in JTC1/SC34 seem to attract large crowds, 20-25 people,
larger by several times than the entire active membership of the OASIS ODF
TC.  But until that day comes, ODF 1.2 work will dominate the TC's agenda.

-Rob

http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.0/errata/cd02/OpenDocument-v1.0-errata-