Subject: RE: [office-comment] Filling numbers & dates

From: Leonard Mada [mailto:discoleo@gmx.net]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200810/msg00007.html
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 11:15
To: office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello Eike,

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200810/msg00005.html

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200810/msg00004.html

>> This is a proposal to enhance ODF with a FILL() function. I planed to
>> post it long ago, but never got the time for it.
>> [...]
>> Spreadsheets notably lack such a construct.
>>

> For a very good reason: a function should never modify the content of
> spreadsheet cells.

[ ... ]

Lets say the user writes in A1:
{ =REPEAT(1, 20) }

This would then populate A1:A20 with values of 1. A perfectly valid
array formula.

I tested this in Calc:
{ =MMULT(A1:B20;D1:E2) }

And guess what? It did change cells D6:E25 (I entered the formula in
D6). I could almost swear that any other formula does change the content
of the cell.

[ ... ]