Subject: Re: [office-comment] User-defined character and paragraph styles

I found just another use-case.

After reading *add list level attribute to style:style*, it came to my
mind that inheritance is a much more flexible and powerful method to
solve that request. [I have however to warn, that I did not understand
everything from that issue and that I am not very versed in the
ODF-specification, especially in the XML-schema.]

Using inheritance, the user just defines 2 styles containing the
level-attribute:<style 1> and <style 2>. This are only "partial styles"
in that they do not contain any further information.

When a user drag-drops these styles over an existing paragraph (or
another style), then the existing style inherits this style.

An explicitly defined property within the wrapper style will take
precedence over any inherited property. Therefore, if a user changes a
property, the explicitly defined one will take precedence and there are
NO conflicts to resolve.

This is a far more structured and flexible approach then presented. It
also covers more broadly any property.

Sincerely,

Leonard

P.S. explicit example:
inheritance is marked with "<--"
<para style 1> {some properties}
<para style 2> {some properties}

<list style X> {some properties}
<list style Y> {some properties}

<para style 1> <-- <list style X>
<para style 2> <-- <list style Y>

para 1: assign <para style 1>
para 2 - n: assign <para style 2>
para (n+1): assign <para style 1>

Instead of assigning <para style i>, the user would actually assign the
<list style i> directly to the underlying paragraph, which would then
inherit the list style and therefore the properties from the list style.
In this particular instance, the list style would contain only the
"outline level" property (and maybe some other formatting attributes).