Subject: Re: [office-comment] Demand for modification of ODF file format aboutregression curve in spreadsheet

Would it be fair to observe that this change request highlights a
shortcoming of the spreadsheet model itself?  Not the ODF spreadsheet
model alone, mind you, but spreadsheets in general?  In particular,
spreadsheets really have no mechanism to handle analytical equations at
all.  They deal primarily with actual data values and not equations.  And
so they enumerate a handful of the most common models which can be applied
to the data.

The fact that cells may be assigned formulas is somewhat misleading, as
there really is no such thing as a "variable".  A cell reference is just
not the same thing.

Nearly all math apps approach this problem with either a strong
data-oriented focus (Matlab, IDL, ...) or a strong analytical focus
(Mathematica, ...).  There is always a need for both and so there is
always some form of cross-pollenation.  For instance, when data-driven
programs fit data to a model, they typically have no vocabulary to express
the model they are fitting; and so return the fitted parameters as a
vector or array.

The spreadsheet document has a strong data-oriented focus.  It has no
vocabulary for expressing analytical equations, nor facilities for
manipulating them.

If you are thinking of XML-izing something like S+ to add a strong
analytical focus to the ODF suite of data content models, I would humbly
suggest defining another document type.  Please note that there is already
a "space" for it.  Annex C of v1.1 already mentions the extension *.odf
and the MIME type application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.formula.  Yet the
content model for such a file is unspecified.  So define the content
model.  It is obviously intended to support some form of
mathematically-oriented document.

But take a minute to step back and really think about what you need.  If
you do this with S+ (or IDL, or Matlab or Mathematica or any of them) you
are in effect defining an orthodox scripting language for all applications
which edit ODF files.  These languages are fully fleged procedural
languages with their own standard libraries and their own mechanisms for
including code not defined locally.  Would an augmentation of the
<office:script/> element suffice?  Specify how a spreadsheet cell (or
arbitrary other thing) would trigger execution of code within a specific
script element, and how a script object declares its parameters and return
values.  Specify how data types are handled (e.g., provide a common core
that is currently comprehensible to the spreadsheet cell element, provide
a means for the script to declare new data types that it understands...).
Keep it language neutral and just define how you shove data in and how you
accept data from the Big Black Box.  You'd also need to define how
externally specified code is included.  The contents of the ODF file would
need to contain the source code, and also a  CORBA/Interface Definition
Language/other description of the <script/> element's contents.  Scripts
aren't really all that useful if you cannot express how they interact with
the data in the rest of the document.  They're also dangerous to rely on:
you can't ensure that the person you're sending the document to will have
the right language plugin, or that it will even be available for their
machine/app.

I think both approaches have merits and pitfalls.  If you choose the route
of selecting an orthodox scripting language, all conforming
implementations should be interoperable.  Augmenting the script element
encourages people to use "their favorite package", which may mean that you
may not be able to recompute the regression line if you received the
spreadsheet from someone who has a different pet package (either free or
commercial), even if YOUR package has a routine which does the same thing
(with a slightly different name/parameter list).

Bryce

)
> >> where y is a binary variable and p(y) the probability of y
> >>
> >> C.) Non-Linear models
> >> - this is the most interesting
> >> - it allows specifying the formula for the regression
> >> - e.g. lets say we want to determine the coefficients a & b for:
> >> a * x / (x*x + b)
> >> in R, this looks like:
> >> model.nls <- nls( y ~ a*x / (x*x + b), start=list(a=1, b=1))
> >> where y is the outcome and x is the variable
> >>
> >> As a practical example:
> >> [You can copy / paste this in R]
> >> x <- rnorm(1000) # generate 1,000 random numbers
> >> y <- rnorm(1000) + rnorm(1) * x / (x*x+1)
> >> x.nls<-nls(y~a*x / (x*x+b*x+c), start=list(a=1,b=0,c=1))
> >> summary(x.nls)

> >> We see, "b" is statistically non-significant and we can remove it
> >> from the model (giving us then a * x / (x*x + c); we can rerun the
> >> regression using this formula to obtain a better result ).
> >>
> >> The idea is:
> >> I want a mechanism to specify the formula used in the regression.
> >> Instead of storing a formula name, it would be wiser to store the
> >> formula itself. This way, one can easily build *complex models* and
> >> *multivariate models* (more than one variable). This is currently
> >> not-possible and ODF lags behind professional packages in every
> >> respect (well, Excel fares poor in this respect, too, but then you
> >> shouldn't look at Excel when doing regressions).
> >>
> >> Sincerely,

Some