Subject: RE: [office-comment] ODF 1.2 References

Paul,

That textual examination of the use of terms found in conformance language is very useful.

I want to point out that, for the ISO/IEC nomenclature, MAY and NEED NOT go together and MAY NOT (as a prohibition) is not acceptable normative language.

Also, I think sometimes the use of MAY and MAY NOT is more in the sense of CAN and CAN NOT (with regard to possibility, as opposed to permission or prohibition).

I have also noted that SHOULD in the ISO/IEC sense is quite different, and considerably weaker as a prescription, from the SHOULD as used in the IETF sense.

(You will notice how I indicate bold face in plaintext, which is probably the same reason that the IETF uses capitalization, since the authoritative texts of IETF RFCs are in plaintext.)

I also agree that the use of those terms in anything but their conformance-language sense is a problem, with the safest solution being to refrain from use of those terms in any other way, capitalized, enboldened, or not.  (I also assume that technical use of a style in the formatting of the ODF version is not that helpful for the PDF version of the document.)

On the other hand, one potential assist in the clarification of when normative terms are being used is from the OASIS guidelines for conformance sections and conformance language.  There, there is a notion that every statement that has conformance language in it is distinguished in some way (the W3C does this, for example), there is some form of index or compilation of all of them, and each of them can be traced to a conformance target specified in the Conformance section of the specification.

I am not clear what the alignment of the ODF TC is with respect to those guidelines, however, and this discussion might lead us to consider the guidelines more explicitly.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org