Subject: Re: [office-comment] Foreign elements and attributes

rjelliffe@allette.com.au wrote on 03/01/2009 12:59:37 PM:

> For example, does ODF prevent XML processing instructions PIs? These are
> part of XML, and they can be used almost anywhere in a document, with
> absolutely no constraints imposable by schema languages (actually,
> Schematron can.) PIs are intended to provide processing-specific or
> application-specific instructions. They are yet another reason why
merely
> blocking foreign elements and attributes will not actually achieve the
aim
> of somehow making ODF extension-proof or circumventable.

I'm not arguing "merely".  I'm arguing necessary. I'm not arguing
sufficient.  Arguing "Don't plug the leak in the boat here because there
is another leak over here as well" is rather weak and seems to be the
straw man of the Microsoft coprosperity sphere lately. But I'm in favor of
plugging all of the holes.  Let's have an extended conformance class and
an unextended conformance class.  Let the market decide which one they
prefer for any particular use.  Do you have problems with that?

-Rob