marbux <marbux@gmail.com> wrote on 03/02/2009 08:41:39 AM:

> With respect, this section is not all that different in relevant
> portions from the section I mistakenly quoted and cited. It is still
> the appropriate and exclusive means officially designated members of
> the public to comment on ODF development and to bring matters to the
> TC chairs' attention. I.e., "Comments shall not be accepted via any
> other means." Posts to the user list do not constitute legal notice of
> comments made under the OASIS procedure cited. Posts to the comments
> list do.
>
> The posts at this stage may not force TC action, but I believe the
> remainder of my criticism stands. I therefore respectfully request
> that the clarification I sought be provided. I have no concept of what
> is and is not properly posted to this list beyond the fact that it
> must relate to ODF development.
>
> In other words, please respond to the meat of my post rather than just
> to a minor error in it that does not subtract from the meat's flavor.

Maybe I can clarify. The proper place to submit concrete comments on the
text of the ODF standard, either published or draft, is the office-comment
list.  This is the only list that is governed by the Feedback Licence, so
it is especially appropriate for contributing ideas that have IP
implications.  I believe that most threads start off with an appropriate,
concrete comment.  No complaints there.  The issue is when it spawns a
lengthy discussion thread.

The proper place to discuss the ODF standard is the opendocument-users
group.  We are free to make additional, specialized lists as needed.  For
example, if there was a high volume of traffic of interest to developers
we could make an opendocument-dev list.  But currently the traffic on
opendocument-users is low enough that I think we can accommodate
substantial additional discussion of the kind currently occurring on the
office-comment list.  None of these other lists are governed by the
Feedback Licence, so they are not appropriate for making public
contributions to the ODF standard.

The proper place to comment on the ODF TC or the process we use in
creating ODF is the office list.  Only ODF TC members may post to this
list, though the archives are publicly viewable.  Membership has its
advantages.

If you want to comment or ask questions on OASIS in general, OASIS
process, OASIS IPR policy, etc., then you can use the oasis-public-discuss
list.  This is open for anyone to write to.

-Rob