Subject: Ambiguities surrounding cross referencing (ODF1.2CD1)

In the process of distilling concepts related to cross referencing over
the weekend, I ran into a number of elements which "may contain text
content".  The meaning of the content is somewhat unclear.  There are also
some other things which seem like it would be beneficial to clarify.

For instance, <text:chapter> is a field which may contain text content.
What is the significance of that text?  Does it appear in the document?
Why does it have content?  Is the text content the name of the chapter?  I
would have expected the field to be replaced with the value of the chapter
formatted as specified.

Same question for <text:sequence>.  Should the text content of the
sequence be taken to be the caption text?  Where does the caption text
come from?

Same question for <text:sequence-ref>.  Does this text somehow override
the text in the <text:sequence>?  Does either this text or the text within
<text:sequence> appear in the document?

It does not appear that the text is supposed to be a representation of
these field values evaluated at their location in the document.  The
following text is the only thing I can find about "storing" field related
information in the element, and it says to use an attribute.
=== Section 6.2 ===
The value of a field is usually stored in an attribute. Storage of the
value enables recalculation of the presentation of a field. For string
values, if a value is identical to a presentation, the value attribute is
omitted to avoid duplicate storage of information.
================

For <text:chapter>, on the text:display attribute, what is the difference
between number-and-name and plain-number-and-name? Likewise for number and
plain-number.  And again, where does the name come from?  The contents of
the last <text:h>?  The contents of the last <text:h> at the specified
outline level?

For <text:sequence-ref>, when the attribute text:reference-format contains
"value", does it mean just the value of the sequence, or the value of the
sequence merged with the chapter as described in the sequence declaration?

Lastly, Section 6.1 introduces "number range" fields, but these seem to be
sequence variables.
=== Section 6.1 ===
A number range field enables the numbering of elements such as images or
tables. A number range field displays its own position in relation to the
other number range fields in the same range. If an image and its
associated number range field are moved within a document, the fields are
automatically updated to reflect the new order.

For those interested, I've extracted the bits relevant to document
structure and cross referencing on wiki pages at dita.xml.org.  Consider
it a mini tutorial.  Also consider yourselves invited to correct me if
I've misconstrued anything.

http://dita.xml.org/wiki/research-sequences-in-odf
http://dita.xml.org/wiki/research-document-structure-in-odf

Bryce