> Hi Paul,
>
>   In general, yes. The piece that's missing is that this list is intended
> to be "input only" - that is, one should not expect discussion from TC
> members on any of the posts on this list. The intent is that the posts
> would be discussed by the TC which would then decide what action, if
> any, to take.

You say "one should not *expect* discussion" which is fine. However from
the latest ODF TC minutes:

"Michael asked that in alignment with the OASIS technical committee
process *no* discussions should take place on the public comment mailing
list."

These are clearly not the same thing. For example, under what Mary said,
an interested, engaged TC member could ask for clarification or suggest
other angles to a comment on the public list, at their discretion, but
with no obligation. Under what Michael has said, this is positively
disallowed under the OASIS process. (Under Michael's interpretation, there
is in fact *no* forum provided by OASIS for public discussion of the draft
or future ODF specs?)

Which is correct please?

> If individuals want to take an active role in the
> development of the spec, they should then join the technical committee
> itself.

Certainly. However community engagement is often regarded as a sign of
openness.

>   I would like to make it clear to everyone commenting that the TC has not
> yet approved a formal 60-day Public Review of the specification; the
> approximate date posted in the call for requirements for "ODF-Next" was
> late April. At that point in time the TC will be required to log all
> comments received along with their resolution before proceeding to the
> next approval level. That said, OASIS encourages feedback at any stage
> of a specification's lifecycle; early feedback is typically much easier
> to react to than that provided late in the game.

You say that the "at that point" (i.e. late April) the TC will be required
to log all comments for ODF-Next. Yet the call document* speaks of
gathering requirements "now" with an aim of having a report ready 1 May.

Is it that requirements are not required to be logged but comments are?
That seems a little like formalizing discussion on details but not on the
broad strokes.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200902/msg00007.html