Hi Rick,

On 03/ 4/09 03:48 AM, rjelliffe@allette.com.au wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>>   In general, yes. The piece that's missing is that this list is intended
>> to be "input only" - that is, one should not expect discussion from TC
>> members on any of the posts on this list. The intent is that the posts
>> would be discussed by the TC which would then decide what action, if
>> any, to take.
>
> You say "one should not *expect* discussion" which is fine. However from
> the latest ODF TC minutes:
>
> "Michael asked that in alignment with the OASIS technical committee
> process *no* discussions should take place on the public comment mailing
> list."

2.6 of the OASIS TC process says:

"The purpose of the TC’s public comment facility is to receive comments
from the public and is not for public discussion."

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#visibility

> You say that the "at that point" (i.e. late April) the TC will be required
> to log all comments for ODF-Next. Yet the call document* speaks of
> gathering requirements "now" with an aim of having a report ready 1 May.
>
> Is it that requirements are not required to be logged but comments are?
> That seems a little like formalizing discussion on details but not on the
> broad strokes.

3.2 of the OASIS TC process says:

"Before the TC can approve its Committee Draft as a Committee
Specification the TC must conduct a public review of the work. The
decision by the TC to submit the specification for public review
requires a Full Majority Vote, and must be accompanied by a
recommendation from the TC of external stakeholders who should be
notified of the review. The Committee Draft approved to go to review
shall be called a Public Review Draft. The public review must be
announced by the TC Administrator to the OASIS Membership list and
optionally on other public mail lists; the TC Administrator shall at the
same time issue a call for IPR disclosure.

Comments from non-TC Members must be collected via the TC’s archived
public comment facility; comments made through any other means shall not
be accepted. The TC must acknowledge the receipt of each comment, track
the comments received, and publish to its primary e-mail list the
disposition of each comment at the end of the review period."

We are currently nor conducting public reviews.

Our current call for requirements is an action that the TC has decided.
There are no rules in the OASIS process for this, but of cause we are
tracking them. Why should we call for requirements if we do not have the
intent to track them?

I hope this helps.

Michael

> Cheers