Subject: Re: [office-comment] Re: CD01 -- 8.2.1 Referencing Table Cells

A far pithier summation of much of my last post in this thread.

"Again, methods are needed to know what is being delegated through the
composition. XML only specifies the structure of valid data, not its
meaning. So by itself, it can only structure the composition, not say
what its for."

jamsden (IBM), Compound Documents - Necessary for Success?, xml-dev
mailing list archives (27 January 1999),
<http://mailman.ic.ac.uk/pipermail/xml-dev/1999-January/008844.html>.

But interoperability is dependent on different implementations'
agreement as to the meaning of the structure (syntax), so in my view
the semantics need to be stated normatively as well as the syntax.

I.e., in JTC 1 Directives terminology, the "conformity requirements
that are essential to achieve the interoperability" must be specified
in normative terms as necessary whether they be syntactic or semantic.

Best regards,

Paul E. Merrell, J.D. (Marbux)

--
Universal Interoperability Council