Subject: Re: [office-comment] Separating OpenFormula from (the rest of) ODF 1.2

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 3:49 AM, Brad Hards <bradh@frogmouth.net> wrote:

> I note the addition of the emphasis to the quote. Given that it was necessary
> to emphasise it, I assume that you didn't find it entirely unambiguous and
> encompassing the entire document in one piece.

No. I was merely highlighting the words that made the requirement
unambiguous for the benefit of the readers.

> I too would like to see the whole document available for review for a
> reasonable period. However you are making (arguable) legal case out of
> something that should be a matter of reasonable practical.

I am glad you agree that the entire release candidate should be
circulated for public review.

However, if you have missed that there are international legal
standards establishing minimum requirements for the preparation of
technical standards, you are blinding yourself to the binding and
legally enforceable consensus of more than 100 national and regional
governments on this planet.

Law coerces but it also is an enormous social lubricant, a major force
in helping us avoid resolution of disputes with violence. It also aids
us in avoiding disputes and creates efficiencies if we pay it heed.
E.g., the ODF TC need not waste time trying to decide whether to issue
a complete Public Review Draft. A few minutes of legal research
establishes that there is no option here other than to disobey the law
(not to mention OASIS TC policy).

Best regards,

Paul E. Merrell, J.D. (Marbux)

--