Subject: Re: [office-comment] SVG Liaison

Hi, Rob-

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly!  Replies inline...

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote (on 6/1/09 8:46 PM):

> We've had the misfortune to have our TC calls scheduled for Monday's,
> which means we've had three recent meetings canceled because of US
> Memorial Day, German/French Whit Monday and something or other in China,
> as well as one canceled for illness of the Chair.  So we are a little
> backed up with other business on the agenda at the moment.  But we do know
> that we have some liaison requests to process, and I will ensure that this
> gets onto a future agenda.  We have a few liaisons to appoint, to a
> variety of organizations.

I understand full well how hard it is to pull things together sometimes.
  I just wanted to make sure that SVG didn't slip by the wayside in the
wake of the big job you folks have.

> As done in OASIS, a technical liaison is a single person who is a member
> of both committees, presumably here the OASIS ODF TC, as well as the SVG
> WG.  Since I am aware of no person who sits on both committees (but
> correct me if I'm wrong) that means that we'll need to identify someone
> from either of our committees willing and able to join the other
> committee.
>
> The liaison policy is here:
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/liaison_policy.php#tcliaison
>
> And the process for for joining OASIS are listed here:
> http://www.oasis-open.org/join/membership-application.php
>
> If you have someone on your WG who is already an OASIS member, then
> joining the ODF TC is trivial for them.  Have them contact me if they have
> any questions.

I don't believe we have anyone active at this time (though we have in
the past).

> Additionally, we have the ability to request a membership fee-waiver,
> which may be appropriate for these kinds of technical liaisons.  Again, if
> you have someone in mind from the SVG WG, have them contact me for
> details.
>
> We can also explore a liaison in the other direction, if you can point me
> to information on requirements for participating in the SVG WG.   I can
> share that information with the ODF TC, to see if one of our members is
> interested in joining the W3C.

In the SVG telcon, we decided it would be ideal if we could have one or
more people from each group (the ODF TC and SVG WG) participating in an
as-needed basis to discuss the details of SVG in ODF (and how SVG might
be expanded to meet any additional needs of ODF).  That way, we could
establish a more fruitful long-term relationship between the
technologies, by understanding the ways and means, goals, and culture of
the other group.

I'll contact you off-list about some of these options.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs