Subject: Describing legacy information

Hi,

The current version of the ODF specification currently does not describe legacy settings. There are a variety of settings that Open Office persists into the file which are not adequately defined within ODF. While one may argue that these settings are specific to Open Office, the existence of these settings hinder interoperability unless properly defined. Similar to how Open XML was improved through full disclosure of legacy data, ODF would also improve when doing the same. Instead of defining these settings directly in the specification I propose to add a conformance clause mandating that all settings are adequately described in whatever document we deem fit for it. This is the only way to ensure that not only legacy document created with Open Office can be handled in the future, but those of all ODF implementing applications. The very least is a requirement for Open Office to disclose the information being the originator of the spec.

Best regards,

Wouter van Vugt
MVP Visual Studio Tools for Office

Envelope

wouter@code-counsel.net

Telephone

+31 6  438 317 12

icon_twitter

@woutervugt

RSS

http://blogs.code-counsel.net/wouter

Logo 7 cm

Code Counsel

Critical Path Training

CPT

Sharing Knowledge with Passion
www.code-counsel.net

Your fastest way up the SharePoint learning curve!
www.criticalpathtraining.com