Subject: RE: [office-comment] embedding images in ODF

Something you might want to consider in proposing cases of importance to you:

1. In ODF 1.1, the manifest:media-type attribute is required and is specified to be an IANA-registered MIME type.  (More accurately, it says "For a full list of mime types see http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types"; which is an indirect way of getting to the way I said it, even though that particular URL is not authoritative.)

2. In ODF 1.1, the name of a file-entry in a package is the full string in manifest:full-path, also required for any <manifest:file-entry> element.  Generally, this is the only level of uniqueness required to accomplish identification of items in packages.

  2.1 A small number of full-path values are reserved for specific items including "content.xml", "mimetype", and "META-INF/manifest.xml".  (That list expands in ODF 1.2 as part of the introduction of RDF metadata and XML Digital Signatures.)

  2.2 Finally, there are cases where the full-path values are understood to be mapped to a folder hierarchy in which folders might also have MIME type values and be specified in the manifest, but this does not alter the uniqueness required for full-path values regardless.  Mapping to folders only impacts the way that package items can refer to other package items via relative URIs.

3. For ODF 1.2, the current working draft (prepared in September 2007) has no change from the ODF 1.1 treatment as far as the manifest and the naming of package items is concerned.

   3.1 That does not mean the ODF 1.2 provisions cannot change, although breaking changes against ODF 1.1 would require pretty strong justification, in my opinion.

   3.2 At the moment, the language about conformance, extended conformance, and specific document-type conformance (e.g., for text, spreadsheet, and presentation) has not had much impact on packages beyond tightening the use of the mimetype item in the package.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org