Subject: Re: [office-comment] 18.51 db:enable-sql92-check (ODF all versions)

Alex,

Alex Brown wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> ----
> The db:enable-sql92-check attribute specifies that the names of tables,
> views, columns, and queries must be conform to ISO/IEC 9075 Information
> Technology - Database Language SQL: 2002.
> ----
>
> * I can find no reference to a 2002 version of this Standard, but can
> find this 2003 version:
> http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=34133 . Note the
> title is different, and this Standard has since been revised (2008).
>
> * "must be conform" -> "shall conform to the naming conventions of".
>
> * I cannot find the naming prohibition described in the following note
> (in the ODF spec). For convenience, please cite the clause where this is
> defined.
>
> * Or ... is the 1992 version of 9075 meant (
> http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=16663 )? This has
> been withdrawn and so should not be cited; instead the relevant
> provisions need to be stated in full in the ODF spec itself (perhaps
> beef-up the note).

I will have to ask the database folks with access to the actual
documents to check the citation.

Curious about your point on the withdrawal of 9075: 2002. That was a
valid citation when made. Does the fact that it was later withdrawn mean
that the original standard (and its citation) must be changed or that
simply that we should not cite the withdrawn standard in ODF 1.2?

I am not sure how we could reproduce "...the relevant provisions..."
since any well written standard has many dependencies in terms of
terminology, models, etc., and so is best cited by reference and not
quoting snippets of text which may be misleading on their own.

Thanks for catching the ambiguity in the citation.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau