Subject: Re: [office-comment] Schema copyright

Murata-san.  I'm confused.  N1222 is "Text for ISO/IEC FDIS 19757-7,
Information technology - Document Schema Definition Languages (DSDL) -
Part 7: Character Repertoire Description Language (CRDL)".  That has
nothing to do with the ODF schema.   Perhaps you are referring to another
document?

In any case, the copyright statement merely indicates which entities claim
the exclusive rights associated with a copyright.  Remember, under the
Berne Convention, a copyright is associated with every act of authorship,
whether or not a copyright notice is explicitly affixed.  So every person
who has contributed material to ODF (or any other standard for that
matter), whether a TC member, or a member of a public, can claim some
copyright to their contributed portions of its contents.

However, merely knowing the identity of the copyright holders tells you
absolutely nothing about what rights users of the schema have.  Nothing.
To see what rights users have, you need to look at the rights that TC
members have granted OASIS via the OASIS IPR Policy (section 5.2, for
example), what rights members of the public grant to OASIS via the
Feedback Licence for comments on the public comment list, and then what
rights OASIS grants users of their standards via their Notice, as well as
what rights OASIS granted to ISO/IEC JTC1 via the Explanatory Report that
accompanied the PAS submission of ODF to JTC1.

Personally, I think OASIS is scrupulous about ensuring that nothing gets
into an OASIS Standard unless it comes in via the IPR Policy, and via
these efforts the pedigree and IP integrity of the standard is maintained,
both from copyright and patent perspective.  The result is a far more
liberal and permissive set of rights for users of OASIS Standards than any
standard that is created in JTC1.  However, if after reading through the
above, you still have questions regarding copyright of OASIS standards,
I'd suggest that you contact OASIS directly, since the individual OASIS
TCs have no discretion over the copyright.

Regards,

-Rob

"MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp> wrote on
10/07/2009 07:57:37 PM: