Subject: Re: [office-comment] Re: 18.51 db:enable-sql92-check (ODF1.2)

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
Small but important normative-language repair:

"May not" is not recognized normative language.  "Need not" is the correct
form.  I believe the ISO JTC1 directives are precise on this point.

Small correction. It's in ISO/IEC Directives Part 2 Annex H, <http://www.iec.ch/tiss/iec/Directives-Part2-Ed5.pdf>, not in JTC 1 Directives. "May not" is often used in everyday English to express a prohibition. I.e., "you may not do X." Substitution with  "need not" resolves such ambiguities.

Best regards,

Paul

--
Universal Interoperability Council