Subject: ODF 1.2 Part 3 Section 3.5 manifest:algorithm

Hello ODF TC,

I have been looking at the file located at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/part3/cd01/OpenDocument-v1.2-part3-cd01.odt,
dated 19. October 2009.

ODF 1.2 is the first major "over-haul" of ODF since ODF 1.0 was
approved, so this would be a good time to tighten a few things up in
terms of support of already existing applications and where to ODF
should be driven in the future.

* Section 3.5 <manifest:algorithm>

I propose to change section 3.5 to the following:

[Section 3.5 start]

The <manifest:algorithm> element specifies the algorithm used to encrypt data.

The <manifest:algorithm>-element SHALL only contain child elements
that are permitted child elements of an <EncryptionMethod> element as
defined in §3.2 of [xmlenc-core], whose Algorithm-attribute has the
value of the manifest:algorithm-name attribute.

If the value of the manifest:algorithm-name attribute is Blowfish CFB
the <manifest:algorithm> element shall not have child elements.

(section describing schema at the end of the section remains the same)

[Section 3.5 end]

Justification:

The idea is basically to promote "standard" algorithms and XML
constructs as those mentioned in [xmlenc-core] to "first class
citizens" of ODF while making usage of Blowfish a second class citizen
- while acknowledging that there are documents and applications out
there using Blowfish.

I have specifically chosen to substitute " SHOULD only contain child
elements" with " SHALL only contain child elements" since I see no
need for the more lose "should"-term. The definition of
EncryptionMethod from xmlenc-core consists of optional child elements,
so this fits nicely with "no child elements" when dealing with
Blowfish. I believe a more strict set of element rules would
facilitate interop better than the current lax way of specifying
elements.

I hope you will take this into consideration.

--
Jesper Lund Stocholm
www.idippedut.dk