Subject: Feedback for OpenDocument-v1.2

Hello,

Thanks for the continuing effort to support ODF. I really appreciate it.

Some feedback to the new proposal:

1. There are a lot of entries that read "The <xyz> element is usable
*with* the following elements: ..." Shouldn't that be *within*.

That said, I would prefer a table here which lists the parent/child
elements in a more readable way.

Maybe you should even move this information into an appendix where it
can be found in compact form instead of spreading it throughout the
text and interrupting the flow of read.

2. "To represent a text cursor position within a document, a
processing instruction with PITarget opendocument (see §2.6 of
[XML1.0]) should be used. The name of the cursor position processing
instruction, cursor-position, shall follow the PITarget opendocument."
... Uh what? How about:

"To represent a text cursor position within a document, use the
processing instruction '<?opendocument cursor-position?>' (see
PITarget). The processing instruction may have arbitrary
implementation specific attributes."

3. "A common view setting for is the position of the text cursor when
saving the document." Odd sentence. How about: "Text views will
usually use this to remember the text cursor position when saving the
document."

4. "Styles for a document are defined in container elements according
to their type, common, automatic and master." ... 'common' what?

5. "3.18White Space Processing and EOL Handling" This section says
that some elements have special rules for handling of WS characters.
Then there is a note about text:p and text:h. Is this an example? Or
are these all elements with special WS rules? For the reader, it would
be better to have a list of all elements (with links) which have
special WS rules.

6. "6.1.4<text:tab>" confuses me. Why would I want to use this element
instead of a TAB character?

7. "19.15.1<chart:chart>, <chart:series>" Please split this extremely
long text into sections where you explain each chart type individually.

8. "19.626table:embedded-number-behavior" The example image is pretty
cluttered. I suggest to move the string/text annotations above the
example string and the numeric annotations below plus small colored
boxes around the parts of the example string to make it easier to
digest.

That's it for now (running out of time). Let me know whether you want
more feedback like that :-)

Regards,

http://www.pdark.de/                   http://blog.pdark.de/

http://www.pdark.de/                   http://blog.pdark.de/