Subject: Re: [office-comment] marking directionality of text inside a paragraph

Amir,

Thanks but I am still confused by:

Let's say that OpenOffice supports this feature; Alice writes a
document in English, adds one sentence in Hebrew and marks it
correctly (for example, by selecting the text and pressing the
appropriate toolbar button). She emails the document to Bob; if Bob
will see the sentence, it will just appear to him correct and natural
and won't stand out in any way, like bold text would, so he may fail
to notice it.

It is not a major problem, but only something that should be kept in
mind. It's not too hard to solve it either: For example, a toolbar
button may change when the caret is inside text with different
directionality, or such text may be displayed with a slightly
different background color, or the caret itself may change its shape
etc.

I am not sure why Bob noticing is an issue?

When I got involved with this merry band working on ODF I was studying Hebrew (biblical). I don't think I would fail to notice Hebrew, even in the middle of a paragraph.

Do you mean that Bob needs a signal for *editing* that the text has changed direction?

I would think the application, subject to the issues you point out below, should handle that without Bob needing special notice.

Ah, is the problem that Bob can't tell where the change of direction takes place?

That is he won't know from looking at the screen whether the caret is inside the span with the change in writing direction or not?

No promises but style:writing-mode on <text:span> looks doable to me. Ultimate decision will be by the TC. There may be relationships to other elements/attributes that I am not seeing on quick review.

The issue of the caret, assuming we have supplied the underlying markup, looks more like an application level issue to me. We could insert a note to the effect that multi-lingual texts become much easier to edit if the caret is used to indicate direction of writing. Or make it possible for users to choose such a caret.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick