Subject: Re: [office-comment] marking directionality of text inside a paragraph

2011/10/19 Frode Severin Hatlevik <frodeseverin@gmail.com>:
> 2011/10/18, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni@mail.huji.ac.il>:
> <snip />
>> Just for comparison: OpenOffice doesn't try to handle inline
>> directionality at all. Microsoft Word tries to handle it automatically
>> by assuming inline directionality according to the keyboard layout;
>> for example, when the user switches the keyboard layout from English
>> to Hebrew, Word adds a virtual <span dir="rtl">-like thing at that
>> point. Unfortunately, Word doesn't provide any way to remove this
>> virtual direction marker except deleting the characters surrounding
>> it, and it doesn't provide any way to change the directionality of
>> text that was already written.
>>

> It seems OOo handles inline directionality quite well. I enabled
> support for CTL in the 'Tools => Options ... => Language Settings =>
> Languages' section. Then I copy-pasted the name from the e-mail. There
> seems to be a problem with punctuation, though.

Of course there's a problem with punctuation :)

Modern operating environments take care of right-to-left character
ordering, usually without the need for further intervention, so
OpenOffice doesn't need to do much about it (although it probably does
something). The ordering of punctuation, however, is ambiguous, and
without manual settings it is often shown incorrectly. It is
reasonably easy in manually-coded HTML, it is not-so-great in MS-Word
and it is impossible in OpenDocument (unless i am missing something).
I am not familiar with any program that allows to do it with a GUI and
without manual coding.

I am attaching an HTML document with an example of what i want to
achieve. Copying that text into from the browser to LibreOffice 3.4.1
on Windows XP totally confuses LibreOffice.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
Title: inline right-to-left text

The exclamation mark is supposed to be on the left-hand side of the Hebrew word in the next paragraph:

The website "Walla!" (in Hebrew: "וואללה!") is one of the most popular portals in Israel.