Subject: Re: [office-comment] marking directionality of text inside a paragraph

The ODF 1.2 (this was in 1.1 as well) spec, Appendix E1 of Part 1 covers
Bidi text.

1st paragraph there says:

"In OpenDocument, the direction of text runs inside a paragraph is
calculated using the Unicode BiDi Algorithm. See [UAX9]. The paragraph
direction, as required by the BiDi Algorithm (see BD5 of [UAX9]), and the
display direction of layout objects like table or page columns (in the
following called layout direction) is controlled by a writing mode
attribute (style:writing-mode) that can be used within styles. "

So, at the file format level we are relying on special unicode characters
to express directionality within a text run.  This doesn't mean that the
application must require the user to manually enter special characters for
this to work.  The application can layer any UI they wish on top of this.

-Rob

"Andreas J. Guelzow" <andreas.guelzow@concordia.ab.ca> wrote on 10/19/2011
03:30:19 PM:

> From: "Andreas J. Guelzow" <andreas.guelzow@concordia.ab.ca>
> To: <office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>
> Date: 10/19/2011 03:39 PM
> Subject: Re: [office-comment] marking directionality of text inside
> a paragraph
>
> On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 13:09 -0600, Frode Severin Hatlevik wrote:
> > 2011/10/19, Andreas J. Guelzow <andreas.guelzow@concordia.ab.ca>:
> > <snip />
MS-Word
GUI and