Subject: RE: FW: [office-comment] Orientation problems with angles

I believe I can safely say that all vector characterizations on a Cartesian plane are relative to a frame of reference.  Directions of translation and rotation are relative to that frame of reference.  (Clockwise is anti-clockwise when viewed from "behind", when viewed in a mirror, etc.)

Asking for identification of the axes and their directions for the frame of reference is another way of nailing down what that frame of reference is.  Then how that is projected onto the surface of the document as presented to a viewer can be made precise.  Up, down, left, right, front, back, clockwise, etc., have no meaning until there is agreement on what the frame of reference is.  (There is a similar problem in ODF when certain characteristics are dependent on the assumed writing direction and the relationship is underspecified or ambiguously described.)

 - Dennis

PS: In one of the early, famous anthologies of English-language science fiction stories, there is a short story about a robot craft that is landed on Venus.  A Venusian manages to enter the craft and that activates a self-destruct mechanism.  The remote operators need to find a way to tell the Venusian how to press the button on the left of the console that disables the countdown and *not* press the button on the right of the console, which activates the destruction immediately.  I forget how they managed it.

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 07:13
To: office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

For relative rotations (relative to current placement) all you need to do is specify the amount of rotation and direction (clockwise versus counter-counterclockwise).  The coordinate system is irrelevant.

For absolute positioning, e.g., "place the arrow so it is pointed at +45 degrees" then you need more context.

In any case, I've added this issue to JIRA (OFFICE-3775) so we can track any proposed resolution there.

-Rob