Subject: Re: [office-comment] Definition of draw:angle in ODF1.2 does not fit to implementation

Hi members,

plese excuse me, wrong reference. OFFICE-3750 and OFFICE-3762 are about the angles in draw:transform. My problem here is about draw:angle, which is used in draw:gradient and draw:opacity.

Kind regards
Regina

Regina Henschel schrieb:
Hi members,

I have found, that the problem has been noticed already, see OFFICE-3750
"spec and implementation not aligned for angle ..." and OFFICE-3762
"units for angles test files".

Kind regards
Regina

Regina Henschel schrieb:
Hi members,

the definitions of the attributes draw:angle (19.112) and
draw:rotation(19.209) do not fit to the actual implementations.

The definitions refer to the data type angle in section 18.3.1:
"An angle, as defined in §4.1 of [SVG]. An angle is a double value that
may be followed immediately by one of the following angle unit
identifiers: deg (degrees), grad (gradiants) or rad (radians). If no
unit identifier is specified, the value is assumed to be in degrees."

The actual implementations use the value without unit but they interpret
it as having unit 0.1 degrees and they use data type integer.

I have tested PowerPoint, LibreOffice, Symphony, and Apache OpenOffice
so far. I haven't got a Linux system and cannot test Calligra.

The attribute draw:angle is only used with the elements draw:gradient
and draw:opacity and the attribute draw:rotation is only used with the
element draw:hatch. So a change for these attributes would not effect
other places in the spec. For ODF1.3 I suggest to deprecate them in
favor of a solution nearer to SVG.

To align the spec with the existing implementations I suggest:
(1) Remove the reference to section 18.3.1
(2) Specify that a value n is treated as n*0.1 degrees.
(3) Perhaps constrain the value to integer.

I suggest to do this as errata for ODF1.2.

I'm not a native English speaker and no expert for spec writing, but
here my wording:
In section "19.112 draw:angle" and same in section "19.209
draw:rotation":
old
"The draw:angle attribute has the data type angle 18.3.1."
new
"The draw:angle attribute has the data type integer. The attribute value
n is treated as angle value n*0.1degrees."

The problem has been discussed on ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org and
libreoffice@lists.freedesktop.org, links below. The discussion brought
up the problem of angle orientation too, but that can only be solved in
ODF1.3.

The discussion was a little bit scattered, therefor several links:
Initial mail with subject "Definition of draw:angle in ODF1.2 does not
fit to implementation"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel/23201
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-July/035988.html
Answers and threads