Subject: marking the direction of text inside of a paragraph

Hello.

A year ago I tried to propose a change in the OpenDocument standard on
this mailing list. Archive link:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/201110/threads.html

The summary is:
1. In OpenDocument it's possible to define the direction (rtl/ltr) of
a paragraph, but not of a sequence inside a paragraph. For comparison,
in HTML one can do
Some rtl text. <span dir="ltr">Some ltr text.</span>
In OpenDocument, only the <p> level is available.

2. It's possible to achieve the desired result by using Unicode
control characters such as RLE, LRE and PDF, but in practice it's very
complicated for the users to actually use them.

Several people replied and asked me questions about the proposal, and
I think that I addressed the issues that were raised. But the thread
got forgotten after a few replies.

As far as I know, the issue is still not resolved. What can be done to
push this forward?

Thank you!

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,