Subject: RE: [office-comment] ODF ADC: ECT Considerations and RCT Position Paper

Hi Patrick,

It doesn't mean that the same application does that, or that it is done within a single session, but that RCT-aware implementations do tracking/accepting/rejecting in much the same way that products like LibreOffice implement those capabilities with ODF documents.  To make that more clear I've invented a fictitious office-productivity product, Blue Sky Office (BSO to its friends), to use in exemplification, but not prescription, <http://nfoWorks.org/bso/> [;<).

RCT is essentially an extension of how change-tracking is already done by the major ODF applications.  Ideally, RCT will encouraged normalized behavior, raising the interoperability bar among independent implementations.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2014 07:34
To: office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Dennis,

Thanks!

Interesting reading.

Quick question: Does RCT presume that changes are
tracked/accepted/declined by one ODF application operating on the file?

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Patrick

> I submitted a Position Paper to the DChanges 2014 Workshop. I have
> attached the draft of my submission.
>
> This is about RCT, which you can find more about at
> <http://nfoWorks.org/rct/>.
>
> I can also supply the paper on RCT that I also submitted to
> DChanges 2014, although I would rather wait to find out if it has
> been accepted or not.
>
> HOW MIGHT THIS BE USEFUL TO THE ODF TC?
>
> I noticed in some of the previous minutes that review of the
> relationship between ECT and MCT had come up.  I don't know the
> status of that.
>
> RCT is, in principal, very much like ECT in that it is based on the
> existing provisions for tracked changes in ODF 1.2.  RCT might be
> more limited than ECT, which is about possible ODF 1.3 tracked
> changes.  RCT is an extension profile to ODF 1.2 and is constrained
> to what can be done within the confines of ODF 1.2 by clarifying
> and limiting producers to have repaired operation and optional
> reliance on some foreign attributes that appear in limited places.
>
> I think that is enough context.  I suspect a similar position could
> be taken for ECT and that is how I thought the RCT position paper
> might be of service.
>

> -- Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
> https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A X.509 certs used
> and requested for signed e-mail
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Dennis E. Hamilton
> [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org] Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2014
> 17:29 To: 'ODF Comments List' Subject: [office-comment] To ODF ADC
> Participants: DChanges 2014 - Call for Position Papers and
> Work-In-Progress
>
> This came in on the ODF TC Users lists today.
>
> I see that Rob forwarded an earlier announcement to the ODF ADC
> list.
>
> This one, with July 15 deadline, seems to be targeted specifically
> to work-in-progress activities.
>
> Svante said he thought Denver might be interesting.  Here's a
> still-open opportunity.
>

> -- Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
> https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Angelo Di Iorio
> [mailto:diiorio@cs.unibo.it] Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:58
> To: opendocument-users@lists.oasis-open.org Subject:
> [opendocument-users] DChanges 2014 - Call for Position Papers and
> Work-In-Progress
>
> *** Apologies for cross-posting ***
>
> 2nd International Workshop on
>
> (Document) Changes: Modeling, Detection, Storage and Visualization
>
> http://diff.cs.unibo.it/dchanges2014/
>
> Part of ACM DocEng 2014 September 16th, 2014, Fort Collins, near
> Denver, Colorado
>
> /***   WORK-IN-PROGRESS and POSITION PAPERS - deadline: July 15th
> ***/
>

> CALL FOR WORK-IN-PROGRESS and POSITION PAPERS
>
> Some slots at DChanges2014 are available for work-in-progress and
> position papers!

> [...]

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Co-Chair, OpenDocument Format TC (OASIS)
Editor, OpenDocument Format TC, Project Editor ISO/IEC 26300
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO 13250-5 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau

--
This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: office-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org