Subject: RE: [office-comment] OFFICE-3869: Relationship of Encryption and Digital Signatures

Hi Patrick,

I didn't see your comment until I checked on my response to Regina's proposal.

Right, the note is informative and I used "must" in a different sense.  I have proposed a wording that explains it as a necessity, not a requirement [;<).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Monday, January 5, 2015 06:57
To: office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Dennis,

Hope you had a great holiday season!

Question on:

> "If a digital signature file is encrypted using the encryption
> means specified for ODF 1.2 Packages, then the digital signature
> applies to the decrypted forms of all encrypted files in the
> package exactly as if they had not been encrypted.  (Note that in
> this case, the manifest, which is never encrypted, is different
> when there are encrypted files than when there are not.  In
> particular, the manifest must include the parameters that must be
> known to decrypt the encrypted digital signature files.)"

The "Note" language - is this a non-normative note? I ask because of
the "must" in the text, which I can remove if it is non-normative and
change to shall if this should be normative.

Thanks!

Hope you are having a great week!

Patrick

> [...]
> applies to the decrypted forms of all encrypted files in the
> package exactly as if they had not been encrypted.  (Note that in
> this case, the manifest, which is never encrypted, is different
> when there are encrypted files than when there are not.  In
> particular, the manifest must include the parameters that must be
> known to decrypt the encrypted digital signature files.)"
>
> The rewording seem to be compatible with the OASIS limitations on
> maintenance versus modification of the specification.  I'm
> reasonably confident that this is consistent with what Michael
> Brauer had in mind. The note simply points out a consequence of the
> current specification.
>

> -- Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
> https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A X.509 certs used
> and requested for signed e-mail
>
> BACKGROUND ANALYSIS
>
> It is useful to note that, in practice, if encryption it is done,
> it is done before the digital signature. Encryption is done when
> the document is saved.  Signing is done on the saved document and
> all it adds is a META-INF/digitalsignatures.xml file to the package
> (which, consequently is not itself in manifest.xml).  This is the
> form of signing that applies for production and verification of
> digital signatures on ODF 1.2 documents by Apache OpenOffice,
> LibreOffice, and Microsoft Office.
>
> One provision of existing implementations of the ODF 1.2 Digital
> Signature is that the signature includes everything in
> META-INF/manifest.xml and META-INF/manifest.xml itself.  Since
> META-INF/digitalsignatures.xml is *not* included in the
> manifest.xml, this all works and it allows signatures to be added
> and removed, including in an existing signature file, without
> disturbing the rest of the package at all.
>
> Consider the following constraints: If encryption occurs *after*
> signing and META-INF/digitalsignatures.xml is encrypted using the
> means specified for ODF 1.2 Packages,
> META-INF/digitalsignatures.xml encryption must be specified in a
> manifest.xml <manifest:file-entry> element.  So either the
> manifest.xml is not signed or it is created and signed before
> META-INF/digitalsignature.xml is created and then encrypted.
>
> If, in fact, we have a previously-signed document that is then to
> be encrypted, that case is impossible for current implementations
> because the existing signatures include the manifest.xml for that
> unencrypted package and there may be multiple signatures applicable
> to the unencrypted form of the package.
>
> The problem is that the manifest.xml is different when there are
> encrypted files than when there are not.  And I don't think one
> wants to abandon including manifest.xml in the digital signature.
> There are ways around this problem, but not without adding
> additional provisions for encryption of already-created and signed
> packages.
>
> There are ways around this, but they go beyond maintenance.

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Co-Chair, OpenDocument Format TC (OASIS)
Editor, OpenDocument Format TC, Project Editor ISO/IEC 26300
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO 13250-5 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau

--
This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: office-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org