Subject: Re: [office-comment] Suggested addition: Binder-like file format

I'm not asking you to do a "cut and paste job", there's a much simpler solution: use the Reply button instead of the Reply All to send your messages to the mailing list only, and allow the mailing list to handle sending me the messages.

The difference between Reply and Reply All is quite simple: the Reply button will send replies directly to the mailing list since messages from the mailing lists come "from" the mailing list address, while the Reply All simply copies all email addresses found in the email headers.

Even I can figure that much out without being a geek or IT professional.

And to be honest, your the first person I've encountered on a mailing list (I've been on a few others) that uses Reply All rather than Reply -- I think it's obvious why Reply All could cause problems!

--
Kris Krehart.

P.S. I'm not that much of a "privacy nut" that I really care about my email address being visible, I just don't like people emailing me from a public mailing list because the purpose of being "public" is to be "public", not "private" -- go figure!

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Paul Merrell <marbux@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 5:44 AM, Kris Krehart <kriskrehart@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just found out I was conversing with one person rather than the list as a
> whole because of people wanting to use my email address directly. I consider
> that very rude because there was no need to communicate with me directly in
> regards to a discussion that's supposed to occur on a public mailing list. I
> don't mind so much if it's something that you truly need to say in private,
> but otherwise I liken it to going to a crowded supermarket and using a
> shopping cart that's already in use by someone else: just because the
> shopping cart can be seen by everyone doesn't mean that everyone should use
> it when it's already in use, and just because my email address is visible to
> everyone doesn't mean that everyone should be using it unless there's a real
> need to (and unless we start working on some project not relevant to the
> mailing list, I doubt there will be a need). Please don't do that again, at
> least not without asking first.

If you're referring to my reply, I hit the Reply to All button, as I
am doing with this one. My email went to both you and the list. So the
problem lies with your reply only to me rather than replying to all.

If you don't like that the listserver sends both the list address and
your own address when forwarding your emails, that's something you
need to take up with the listserv admin and I'd vote right along with
you. But I'm not going to do a cut and paste job on every reply so
that a reply goes only to the list. I've got more important things to
do with my time.

--
Kris Krehart