Subject: RE: [office-comment] shorter XML representations for the values ?

There are efforts for more-compact XML and even binary encodings of XML.  (Just as ASN.1 has an XML expression, apparently the reverse is desired as well?)

However, recall that for any substantial documents, the XML in ODF packages is compressed.  While that is not a panacea, it makes the redundancies in text compressible.

I, for one, think that matching the XML Schema datatypes is a great idea and I am a bit startled that it was not applied in this case.  The Relax NG schema for ODF already appeals to those datatypes so I wonder how this was missed.

So the change for Boolean would be achievable simply by altering the schema pattern

  <define name="boolean">
     <choice>
         <value>true</value>
         <value>false</value>
     </choice>
  <define>

to be

  <define name="boolean">
      <data type="boolean"/>
  </define>

The problem is with down-level implementations.  That is, wanting ODF 1.2 consumers to be able to accept ODF 1.3 documents where there is no difference in the features being used.  This also applies pretty much for ODF 1.1 consumers too, many of which remain in use to this day.  (I have stopped being surprised that there are a large number of people still running OpenOffice.org 3.4.1, apparently an oldie but goodie, and wondering if it is safe for them to upgrade to one of the 4.x series on the computer they have been using all that time.)

So the trade-off between compressibility and uncompressed compactness has to be looked at from an interoperability perspective with regard to legacy consumers on legacy computers [;<).

By the way, if you want to make a bigger hit on uncompressed compactness, change the prefixes for namespace bindings from such things as "office", "text", "table", "draw", "presentation", "manifest" and such to "o", "t", "tb", "d", "p" and "m" or whatever in the XML that is produced.  That can be done by a producer without requiring any change to the specification at all and consumers are expected to be fine with it already.  As an experiment, see what difference that does or does not make on the compressed size of the XML too.

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion.  I also wonder about the energy issue and use of standards at this level in additional comments below.

 -- replying below to --