Subject: Questions regard OpenDocument standard and RDF handling.

Hello!

    I am Denis Kuplyakov. I participated in GSoC 2014 with Calligra last year
and I'm now continuing my work. But I stacked with some problems regarding
linking RDF metadata to contents.

    Before writing this email I have discussed its contents with Jos van den
Oever.

    The first problem is storing an in-package path to additional metadata
files. As we see from examples of unittests for Calligra [1], LibreOffice [2],
AbiWords [3], developers are currently using pkg:path property to store path
to metadata file. But there is no mention of pkg:path in the current
OpenDocument Standard version. Jos noted that we should use instead rdf:about
property with filename (ex: rdf:about="filename.rdf"), as Standard Part 3
section 3.6 says. More info about storing metadata files seems to be written in
Standard Part 3 section 6. Maybe all this pkg:path things originated from
the first metadata proposals for Standard [4].

    The second problem is the use of pkg:idref in the mentioned above
examples and implementations of office suites[1][2][3][5]. There is no mentions
of pkg:idref in Standard. There is a way of using RDFa xhtml:about property to
place a link from contents.xml to metadata. But there are xml elements that
don't support xhtml:about (text:section, for example). In this case we have no
way to link metadata to contents. So pkg:idref provides wider functionality,
allowing us to split xml:ids and RDF URIs, and link them together in
convenient way.

    So I think we should clarify how to use RDF in OpenDocument files and
make RDF implementations compatible throughout office suites.

    [1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/calligra/repository/revisions/master/entry/words/part/tests/data/weekend-hike.odt
    [2] https://github.com/qt-haiku/LibreOffice/blob/master/unoxml/qa/complex/unoxml/testdocuments/example.rdf
    [3] https://github.com/lokeshguddu/AbiWord/blob/master/trunk/test/wp/odt/external/package_odt/manifest.rdf
    [4] https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24275/ODF-Metadata-Proposal.odt