Subject: Re: [office-comment] Proposal for new value of style:ruby-position

On 22.01.2018 17:01, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 23:17:07 +0800, Mark Hung <marklh9@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm working on laying out ruby text vertically on the right side of the
>> base text for LibreOffice. This type of ruby positioning is mostly used in
>> traditional Chinese[1][2]. It correspond to rightVertical in OOXML[3] and
>> ruby-position:inter-character in CSS.
>>
>> Currently style:ruby-position attribute in ODF only allows "above" and
>> "below".
>> I'd like to propose to a new value "right-vertical" for style:ruby-position
>> to denote
>> placing ruby text on the right side of their corresponding base text,
>> whether in horizontal or vertical writing mode.
>
> If that's done, then there should be a corresponding "left-vertical".

does anybody actually use that in practice?  i'm not a fan of adding
purely hypothetical i18n features for no practical benefit.

OOXML doesn't have "leftVertical", and the CSS draft linked by Regina
also has only one "side" mode.

CSS calls it "inter-character", maybe we should use the same name.

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ruby-1/#rubypos

> If a right-to-left language were in use, would "left" still mean "left"?
> I presume it would, but that should be clear.

also, good to specify the writing direction of the ruby annotation
itself, which seems to differ from the one of the base text in this case.

--
Michael Stahl | Software Engineer
Platform Engineering - Desktop Team

See how it works at redhat.com

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/, Sitz: Grasbrunn,
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München, HRB 153243,
Geschäftsführer: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael O'Neill,
Eric Shander