Subject: Need Help: LINEST function gives different Results in OOo,Excel and calculated manually

Hi,

I'd like to start with a short statement about me and my work.

My name is Frank Stecher and I'm working as a Quality Assurance Engenier
for Sun Microsystems Inc., StarOffice. I'm responsible for testing the
Spreadsheet Component and the Digital Signature functionality for
StarOffice and OpenOffice.org. I'm at Sun for 7 years now and enjoy the
challenges given to me during my daily work. Especially  my function as
the so called 'gatekeeper' for the OpenOffice.org  Calc Issues and the
work on the OpenFormula Specification..

I need your help please. I've found some formulas describing the output
for a normal LINEST function in OOo Calc and Excel perfectly well. The
manually calculated values according to these formulas are the same as
the ones calculated by Calc and Excel, so the formulas should be
universal. The problem arises if you force the regression line through
X=0 and Y=0.

In this case OOo Calc and Excel vary in it's results and the used
formula to calculate it manually gives another result.

Please have a look at the attached files. The ODT shows the formulas
used and the ODS is a document showing the results if opened with
OpenOffice.org.

And these are the questions to be answered :

1.) The manual calculation and the calculation used in the LINEST
function from OOo gives the same result but Excel is different. Who
calculates it right? Are the formulas used for the manual calculation
correct?

2.) What's about the calculation of the standard error of the slope
(Sb), Calc and the manual calculation show the same result but Excel is
different, who's correct ?

3.) I think it's Ok to set the standard error for the intercept output
to #NA if I force a 0/0 Intercept as this Intercept is not calculated.
What's your opinion here?

4.) R squared as a measurement unit for the fit of the line can't be as
good as Excel states for a forced 0/0 intercept. OOo shows also the
wrong result as it calculates it for the non forced line. So the
question is who's right? Is it the manually calculated formula ?

5.) Is the formula used for the manual calculation of the standard error
for Y (Sy) correct?  Excel and OOo gives us also a different result.

6.) The regression sum of squares (ssreg) is different for all three
sources. Is the formula used for the manual calculation correct ?

For all questions above I would be interested to get corrected versions
of the formulas if any has to be changed. Thanks for your help.

Frank

testdoc_linest_both_variants.ods

LINEST_definition.odt

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature