Subject: Re: [office-formula] CONVERT

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 14:07 +0100, Eike Rathke wrote:
> > > I don't have my "stuff" with me right now... I vaguely remember
> > > a EUROCONVERT being involved somewhere.
> >
> > Well there is an
> >
> > EUROCONVERT(n,source,target)
>
> Actually it's
> EUROCONVERT(number,source,target,full_precision,triangulation_precision)

Well, EUROCONVERT(n,source,target) is a 3 argument function in Gnumeric.
(I assume my bias shows when I consider that the measure of all things.)

When you say "Actually it's..." are you referring to Excel? (I have no
reasonable way to try out Excel.) I don't see it in OOo.

> full_precision controls the precision returned and
> triangulation_precision controls the significant digits used in the
> conversion.
>
> Btw, EUROCONVERT is not listed as a predefined function in the Ecma
> spec. It is also not installed per default and available only if the
> Euro Currency Tools Add-in is installed. Do we want to define it?
>
> > EUROCONVERT converts the currency value @n of @source currency to a
> > target currency @target. Both currencies are given as three-letter
> > strings using the ISO code system names.  The following currencies are
> > available:
> >
> >     ATS	(Austria)
> >     BEF	(Belgium)
> >     DEM	(Germany)
> >     ESP	(Spain)
> >     EUR	(Euro)
> >     FIM	(Finland)
> >     FRF	(France)
> >     GRD	(Greek)
> >     IEP	(Ireland)
> >     ITL	(Italy)
> >     LUF	(Luxembourg)
> >     NLG	(Netherlands)
> >     PTE	(Portugal)
>
> Which lacks the Slovenian Tolar SIT. Slovenia joined the Euro community
> per 2007-01-01. This is one of the reasons why OOo decided to have the
> conversion factors in the configuration, new factors can be added by the
> user.

Of course this is Gnumeric's list as of 1.6.3, not Excel's.

> > * If the given @source or @target is other than one of the above,
> > EUROCONVERT returns #VALUE! error.
> >
> > as well as an
> > EURO(currency)
> >
> > EURO converts one Euro to a given national currency in the European
> > monetary union.
>
> Where did you find that function? My Excel 2003 doesn't have it, not
> even if the Euro Tools are installed. It also isn't in the Ecma spec.

I was responding to a message that refered to Gnumeric:
> Does Gnumeric have a name for OOo's "CONVERT" function?  I don't have
> my "stuff" with me right now... I vaguely remember a EUROCONVERT being
> involved somewhere.

so I was talking about Gnumeric functions. With respect to Excel I just
have to believe what people tell me.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences