Subject: Re: [office-formula] MMULT dimensions

Eike Rathke:
> MMULT has
>
> | Portable Constraints: Both matrices must have the same dimensions.
>
> and
>
> | TODO: We should probably instead REQUIRE support for matrix
> | multiplication when they don't have the same dimentions.
>
> How was that meant? Matrix multiplication is defined for
> columns()==rows(), the two matrices don't need to have the same
> dimensions. So the portable constraint is moot.

I didn't write that one, but I remember the discussions.

Short answer: I suggest that we REMOVE the Portable discussion and TODO, and instead just state the weaker constraint required by any matrix multiply.

The rationale behind this was that at least one implementation ONLY permitted matrix multiplication when the two matrices were EXACTLY the same size.  (Was that OOo?).  In any case, there's no need for this constraint, let's remove it.