Subject: Re: [office-formula] Constraints and infix ^

David,

David A. Wheeler wrote:
> Rob Weir, regarding 0^0:
>
>> 1) If current ODF-supporting applications (OpenOffice, KSpread, Excel,
>> Symphony, Gnumeric, Google Spreadsheets, etc.) agree on a value, then we
>> should document it that way.
>>

> I don't think there's agreement. OpenOffice3, and traditional math, say
> that 0^0 is 1.  Excel 2003 says 0^0 is an error.
>

>> 2) If there is no agreement in current spreadsheet usage, then indicate
>> that it is "implementation-defined" or "undefined."
>>

> I think we can be narrower than that.  Specifically, I think it can be
> implementation-defined, but only permit a narrow set of options (e.g., 1 or Error).

Err, if we say "implementation defined" isn't there a full stop at the
end of that sentence?

Otherwise, we are contradicting ourselves by then proceeding to define it.

Yes?

I really think Rob has the better position to just say "implementation
defined" and then to let it alone.

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34