Subject: 3.1 Expression calculation

Greetings!

Just to step back a bit in the order of sections, I am wondering what is
the purpose of "3.1 Expression Calculation" section?

It gives an explanation of how a calculation is processed and then says:

> The above model only describes how recalculation appears to the end-user.

But then we say in 3 b) that implicit conversions operate to pass a
function the correct type of argument.

That doesn't sound like "appears to the end-user" to me. That sounds
like a processing model.

Then the text talks about formulas in general but I assume that can be
said, if necessary, when we define formulas. Yes?

I suppose what triggered my original interest was why we would be
describing anything as it "appears to the end-user." ?

Perhaps this is the scoping issue I mentioned a couple of posts ago. If
we are defining a format for the recording and interchange of formulas,
I don't see how appearance to any user, at the end or otherwise falls
into our purview. Noting that certainly we must define syntax and the
order of syntax for expressions, for example, along with associativity,
etc. but those are semantics of expressions and only marginally display
issues for any user.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34