Subject: Re: [office-formula] "international" characters?

David,

I was reminded of your response by the "floor - ceiling" discussion on
the main list.

How is interoperability impacted when I go from an application that
supports Unicode for string values to an application that supports only
ASCII characters?

Shouldn't the rule be that all string values are Unicode (UTF-8/UTF-16)
and that applications are permitted to choose the subset from UTF-8 that
we normally identify as ASCII? (That being the reason it was so encoded
to deal with the most common case for those characters.)

That is to say that we define conformance as being the expression of
string values in either UTF-8 or UTF-16 and allow for the case where
only the "ASCII" subset is desired?

Thinking that then for interoperability reasons we say that when a
string includes characters that fall outside of the "ASCII" subset, that
an application that doesn't support those characters simply preserves
the values that are in place. Or perhaps signals in some manner that the
operation in question cannot be performed.

If, as you say below, the case of manipulation of string values beyond
the "ASCII" subset rarely comes up, then the odds of getting such an
error should be pretty remote.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: BTW, I did notice under 4.1 Text (String) we say: "A text value of
zero is termed the empty string." There are five (5) such usages in the
current draft. I don't particularly care for separate definition
sections although they are allowed by the JTC 1 Directives. I would
prefer that we define all terms in place but using a standard style.
Since the definitions take different verbal forms in the text it would
be necessary to isolate all of them first. I assume that most of the
definitions are consistent across the various parts of the draft but
that needs to be checked.