Subject: RE: [office-formula] Calculation Settings

I'm trying to improve interoperability by bring more clarity to this issue.  Indicating that applications shall implement the listed calculation settings is not specific enough, especially in this important area that effects the results of formula calculation.  The starting point for an application would be to calculate new spreadsheets that correspond to a combination of these settings and write values for the calculation setting that correspond to the application behavior.  Next would be to read these values when loading a file and load files containing combinations of settings that are supported.

What is unclear is whether there is an expectation for conforming applications to load and calculate spreadsheets with all possible combinations of settings.

- Table:null-year represents a year.  Are conforming applications required to support any possible value for this setting?

- Table:null-date represents a date.  Are conforming applications required to support any possible value for this setting?

- Table:automatic-find-labels is unreliable and the spec will recommend deprecating this behavior.  Should conforming applications be required to read and implement this deprecated behavior?

To answer these questions and improve interoperability, I'm suggesting that we specify values for these settings that are most likely to be interoperable and either specify them as recommended or as has been done in other parts of the specification, tie them to "portable documents".

I believe that settings that are most portable and produce the best interoperability to be:

        table:case-sensitive = FALSE
        table:precision-as-shown = FALSE
        table:search-criteria-must-apply-to-whole-cell = FALSE
        table:automatic-find-labels = FALSE
        table:use-regular-expressions = FALSE
        table:use-wildcards = FALSE
        table:null-year = 1930