Subject: Re: [office-formula] OFFICE-2164: EASTERSUNDAY

Hi Robert,

On Monday, 2009-10-26 12:13:46 -0400, Robert Weir wrote:

> I'm looking at this from a "linguistic and cultural adaptability"
> perspective, which is an ISO/IEC requirement.  There are two dates where
> Easter is celebrated, if you consider as well the Eastern Orthodox
> observance.  And then there are all the other holidays which have movable
> dates in various religions and cultures which base such dates on a lunar
> calendar.
>
> I wonder whether the approach is to have a function called HOLIDAY(String
> name, Number year), which you could call as:
>
> HOLIDAY("Easter", 2009)

No, especially from a "linguistic and cultural adaptability" view string
parameters that could and should but cannot be translated are a no-no.

Existing implementations of CELL() and INFO() made that error in the
past and are causing pain if another implementation or even just another
localization of the otherwise same implementation attempts to read such
documents.

PGP signature