Subject: Anchors and test cases

Greetings!

Rob asked about the test cases before we got off into other discussions
this morning.

It will probably surprise David but not only would I like to have the
*ability* to include the test cases but other information as well.

To that end, I am going to be inserting the titles of the various
operators and functions in as anchors in the current draft. To
distinguish them from other usages, I anticipate starting everyone with
"anchor:" followed by all lowercase and hyphens for multiple words. Not
terribly imaginative I know but I will forget any "cute" convention that
we invent so better to have something rather plain.

Since for the past 20 or so years we have been telling users that markup
means that we can re-purpose content and make it suit their needs, I
think like for ODF 1.2 part 1, we need to make that possible with part
2. Yes, it is a little more work but imagine a version/view of
OpenFormula that for a function includes not only the test cases but
implementation notes from another document format on the same function,
and on the implementation of OpenFormula, plus perhaps notes from the
OpenOffice effort.

True, none of that would be canonical but it would be using the
normative text that we create as the framework in which all that
information is presented. One can imagine some banker that is only
interested in comparing their HP calculator results with the basis
materials. ;-) OK, maybe that isn't realistic but I can imagine vendors
at least for in house purposes that want to annotate their copies of
OpenFormula with their implementation notes.

Personally I think a demonstration of that sort of "dynamic" quality of
the OpenFormula standard document would play well at the next ODF
plugfest. I can imagine accounting departments extracting and creating
their own documentation for internal purposes. Well, that would be using
the ref targets instead of the anchors but we need those as well.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)