Subject: Re: [office-formula] Do definitions vary?

Eike,

Yeah, that's the problem, they "look" like they have the same meaning.

I am also not a financial expert but when wording changes, it makes me
suspect so have the semantics.

Not always true so one also has to be careful to watch for the same
language but different meaning. ;-)

Nevertheless, we will get through it and nail it down.

I am about to produce a concordance for Part 1. Might not be a bad idea
to do the same thing for Part 2, just earlier in the process.

Hope you are having a great week!

Patrick

Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Thursday, 2009-12-10 11:52:18 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>

>> A question from the financial functions section:
>>
>> Do any of the following (for example), change from function to function?
>>

>>> /issue/ The security's issue or dated date.
>>> /first/ The security's first interest date.
>>> /settlement/ The security's settlement date.
>>> /coupon/ The security's annual coupon rate.
>>> /par/ The security's par value, that is, the principal to be paid at
>>> maturity.
>>> /frequency /The number of coupon payments per year.
>>> /basis/ The type of day-count basis to use; see section 3.10.6
>>>

> I _think_ they don't change. Care has to be taken though, for example,
> in ACCRINT settlement is defined as settlement date, in ACCRINTM
> settlement is defined as maturity date, it looks like they have equal
> meaning, but I'm not sure. But then we have COUPDAYBS, COUPDAYSNC and
> others where both, settlement and maturity, are different parameters.
>
> I'm by no means a financial functions expert..
>
>   Eike

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)