Subject: Re: [office-formula] frequency

Dennis,

Look at COUPDAYBS for example.

Guess what? We define frequency twice on the same page:

> /frequency/ is one of the following values:

followed by a table, then a listing of "parameters" which says:

> The number of coupon payments per year.

Is one more specific than the other? Certainly. Should there be two?
Certainly not.

Moreover, look at: ODDLYIELD which says:

>    *
>
>       Frequency: the number of interest payments per year. 1=annual;
>       2=half-yearly; 4=quarterly.

Note, not coupon payments but interest payments and different style of
presentation.

I suspect that we could have *one* definition of frequency that could be
referenced when needed.

What surprised me was that I had simply "skipped over "the frequency is
one of the following values," even though I knew it was duplication but
did not see it as yet another parameter report.

Better?

Patrick

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Patrick, I just did a search for all occurrences of "frequency" in the
> document and I find none of them out of wack.  There are a few different
> kinds of frequency (as when talking about certain statistical operations
> versus talking about the periodicity of interest payments per 12-month
> interval).  These are all expressed clearly in pretty ordinary language.
> And the parameter named frequency in the financial functions is used
> consistently as well, although not all frequencies are expected to be
> supported for every one of the functions.
>
> I am sure this could be tidied up a bit, but I don't see a very big problem.
>
> Can you point to a few exemplary instances that demonstrate the significant
> variation that concerns you?  We could be more slavish (maybe always using a
> table for the interest-payment frequency numbers) but I don't think there is
> a significant problem for these.
>
>  - Dennis

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34