Subject: RE: [office-formula] Expression Calculation: expression = formula?

I think we need a term for expressions separate from formulas because
expressions can also be constituents of formulas (and bigger expressions),
but we usually don't talk about formulas as constituents of formulas (or
expressions).

The formula is, as far as I can tell, the whole thing.  (It is kind of like
an XML document consisting of a single XML (root) element -- oversimplifying
-- where an XML element can be composed of subordinate elements but not --
oversimplifying -- subordinate XML documents.)

I recommend nuking the sentence "Any formula is an expression that
produces a result."  If there are well-formed OpenFormula expressions that
aren't interpreted to represent results, that is passing weird and probably
not a condition on expression-hood or formula-hood in any case.

Apparently, an OpenFormula formula is a well-formed OpenFormula expression
preceded by one or two "=" symbols.  (Possible use in an attribute with a
prefix and ":" in front of the formula is not part of the OpenFormula use,
but an use in ODF 1.2 Part 1.)

The syntactic rules for expressions are often in terms of expressions.  The
syntactic rule for formula usually involves the rule for expression, but not
the one for formula.

We should make sure this is done rigorously (assuming I have stated the
distinction correctly).