Subject: RE: [office-formula] Expression Calculation: expression = formula?

There's a place in Part 2 that makes a normative statement considering "="
and the optional recalculate "=" also being part of the OpenFormula Formula.
(I don't have it at hand at the moment.)

 - Dennis

FORMAT ARCHEOLOGY THOUGHTS:

What I think is interesting, from a computer folklore perspective, is that,
historically, the leading "=" was (and is) a UI device for an user
specifying that a formula was being entered rather than a text value or some
other value (a number, a date, whatever) that it might otherwise resemble.
There is also usually a convention for forcing text (e.g., that begins with
= or that looks like a number or an expression but isn't intended to be
interpreted as such).  I don't recall with certainty whether the convention
applies in CSV files or not.  I think not.

These are all UI dialog conventions.  In a document format, the value in a
separate attribute that holds only formulas doesn't need the prefix (we know
it is a formula at this level), and indeed if you look at the SpreadsheetML
of OOXML documents, those markers do not appear in the formula attribute
values, but they are still used in the Excel UI.

I have no idea how the "=" got into the definition of the ODF 1.0
table:formula attribute, and how it ended up being a matter of importance
for OpenFormula.  But it is there now.

I HAVE FOUND A GREAT USE FOR THE = FORM.  In plaintext, including JIRA, I
use the =(expression) form to signify I am typing OpenFormula, and mean the
computational value that expression determines, not a mathematical
expression and its mathematical result.  If we take it out, I'll have to
come up with something else [;<).