Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [office-formula] Straw poll - slug (and lightyear)

"David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote on 04/07/2010 04:09:19
PM:

> Rob said, regarding light-year:
> > That matches the International Astronomical Union's definition as
well,
> > only they say as distance light travels in a vacuum in 1 Julian Year,
> > which is 365.25 days.
>
> Ah!  Can you post the citation?  I think we should cite a source.

http://www.iau.org/public/measuring/

It says:

"Alternatively the light-year (ly) is sometimes used in scientific papers
as a distance unit, although its use is mostly confined to popular
publications and similar media. The light-year is roughly equivalent to
0.3 parsecs, and is equal to the distance traveled by light in one Julian
year in a vacuum, according to the IAU. To think of it in easily
accessible terms, the light-year is 9,460,730,472,580.8 km or 63,241 AU.
While smaller than the parsec, it is still an incredibly large distance."

And they cite for the entire web page (which discusses other topics as
well): Seidelmann, P. K. (Ed.), 1992, Explanatory supplement to the
Astronomical Almanac, University Science Books

So I can't be certain that Seidelmann has that specific definition.

But let me try something with Twitter to see if this social networking
thing has any value.  Maybe someone out there has a copy....

-Rob