Subject: Re: [office-formula] REGEX for Value and NumberValue functions

Hi Eric,

Sorry, this went unanswered..

On Friday, 2010-04-09 23:49:20 +0000, Eric Patterson wrote:

> The REGEX for the VALUE and NUMBERVALUE functions appear to allow text
> like "$1%"

That would result in 0.01, I don't see a problem with that one.

> and in the case of NUMBERVALUE, strings like "1,2,,,,,1" or
> ",,,".
>
> Is the normative text: " If the supplied text X cannot be converted
> into a number, an error is returned." enough here, or do we need to
> update the schema?

The schema can't represent the group separator exactly, as also the
grouping, not only the group separator, is locale dependent, i.e. in
en-US 123,456,789.01 is a valid number, in hi-IN it would be
12,34,56,789.01

We could only provide different schemas as an example.

However, this reminds me of a proposal I wrote a year ago that never was
picked up for discussion. I herewith revive that, please investigate
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-formula/200901/msg00011.html

I created http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-2641 for
this.

PGP signature