Subject: Post on Office-3029

  Greetings!

I don't know who gets notices of updates to JIRA issues but I have
posted a comment on Office-3029 just trying sort the language out, not
fix it, just make it clear what is presently being said.

http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-3029

Please review and comment one way or the other. Suggestions of how to
fix it would also be appreciated.

Thought it best to make sure we all have the same understanding of what
it says before we start trying to change it.

BTW, on the issue of changing, possibly using expressions as defined in
OpenFormula:

I really think that should be part of cleaning up all the "special"
expression syntaxes in ODF in ODF-Next. We need to do the same thing for
SVG paths (but there use SVG) and in a couple of other places.

I think we need to push this out the door with the understanding that
the TC is going to set a production schedule for the development of
ODF-Next, with public cut-off dates and scheduled releases. Personally I
would like for the TC to set those dates the week after ODF 1.2 becomes
an OASIS standard.

If ODF is to thrive and survive it needs to become a creature of its
larger community and as such, more responsive to the needs of that
larger community. One of those needs is having certainty in terms of
when new features will be added to the standard, whether they are then
offered by a particular vendor being a separate issue.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)