Subject: "On the Numerical Accuracy of Spreadsheets"

Not directly related to OpenFormula, but I think several of you will be
interested in this paper:

http://www.jstatsoft.org/v34/i04/paper

"Abstract:

This paper discusses the numerical precision of five spreadsheets (Calc,
Excel, Gnu-
meric, NeoOffice and Oleo) running on two hardware platforms (i386 and
amd64) and
on three operating systems (Windows Vista, Ubuntu Intrepid and Mac OS
Leopard).
The methodology consists of checking the number of correct significant
digits returned
by each spreadsheet when computing the sample mean, standard deviation
first-order
autocorrelation, F statistic in ANOVA tests, linear and nonlinear
regression and distribution
functions. A discussion about the algorithms for pseudorandom number
generation
provided by these platforms is also conducted. We conclude that there is
no safe choice
among the spreadsheets here assessed: they all fail in nonlinear
regression and they are
not suited for Monte Carlo experiments."